THESE 15 DANCE MUSIC CITIES WERE CROWNED THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME
Billboard just released its list ranking the 15 Greatest Dance Music Cities Of All Time. That’s quite a feat. How do you think they did?
15. Montreal: Not only was this Canadian city a hotbed for disco in the 70s, but it’s maintained a hub for dance music fans thanks to clubs like Stereo, École and Privée and festivals including Osheaga and Ilesoniq.
14. Paris: The City of Love lays claim to such legends as Daft Punk, Justice and Ed Banger Records.
13. Buenos Aires: As the Paris of the Americas, this city is famous for its nightlife and club scene not to mention its been one of the beloved homes of Creamfields for 15 years.
12. São Paulo: As if famous venues like D-Edge and Warung Beach Club weren’t enough, this culturally rich Brazilian city hosts Tomorrowland Brasil and EDC Brasil.
11. Barcelona: Entertainment brand Elrow, Sonar festival and a vibrant techno scene keep this city always bumping on top of clubs like Razzmatazz and Apolo.
10. Miami: A true EDM Mecca, the magic city boasts clubs like LIV and Story and the world-renowned Winter Music Conference and Ultra Music Festival.
9. Los Angeles: Two words – Insomniac and HARD.
8. Amsterdam: Yet another mecca. EDM fans pilgrimage to the Dutch capital to experience the largest club festival in the world – Amsterdam Dance Event. Not to mention, it’s become a bit of a factory for DJs.
7. Las Vegas: Encore, Mandalay Bay, Marquee, Tao, XS, Hakkasan and Omnia are just a few of the nightclubs boasting big names every week. Add in all of the beach and pool club parties and, oh yeah, Electric Daisy Carnival and you end up with EDM’s most flourishing (and most financially significant) city.
6. London: Birthplace of dubstep, grime, UK Garage and drum n’ bass, London maintains a thriving dance music scene with clubs like Fabric and entertainment companies like Ministry of Sound.
5. New York City: If only the walls of such iconic clubs as Paradise Garage, Tunnel and Twilo could talk! New York City continues to shape dance music culture, now with such events as Electric Zoo and clubs like Terminal 5, Output and Webster Hall.
4. Ibiza: EDM’s island paradise, Ibiza has a long and storied history as the origin of several electronic music styles and the ultimate right of passage for for DJs and fans.
3. Berlin: The “World Techno Capital” harbors legendary nightclubs like Berghain, Bar 25 and Tresor.
2. Detroit: The original birthplace of techno, the motor city produced such pioneering artists as Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson.
1. Chicago: Another city that had a genre named after it, the windy city will forever reign in dance music history as the hometown of house legends like Frankie Knuckles and Ron Hardy.
Here’s a little history mix we stumbled on. Lots to debate about here, but interesting nonetheless.