The Compilation Debuts Brand New Single from Charlotte Adigéry
Listen to “Bear With Me (and I’ll Stand Bare Before You)” HERE
DEEWEE, the label from Grammy-nominated artists David & Stephen Dewaele AKA Soulwax/2manydjs, today announce Foundations, their 50th release and first compilation album coming out on May 7th. 27 tracks including 3 brand new exclusive works* are beautifully presented across triple LP and 2CD physical editions, along with digital format. All are united by a breadth of imagination, a love of hands-on artistry, and of course by the sonic craftsmanship of the Dewaele brothers themselves.
Foundations is more than just a compilation of tracks from the DEEWEE label. It’s a beautiful object in its own right. As with all DEEWEE releases, Parisian art directors, Ill-Studio have created a gorgeous artefact that collectors will love. It’s also a wonderful audio experience, with new music complimenting and elevating the catalogue material, and the sequencing of the 27 tracks done with as much love as any artist album or DJ set. It’s an expression of the values of a musical family with the brothers at its heart and featuring their creative input throughout. Everything on the album has come through the DEEWEE Studios in Ghent, Belgium which was built to bring together their friends from around the world. In many ways, Foundations represents a new phase in the label’s existence, one that is aided by a new joint venture with UK and FR label Because Music.
Accompanying the announcement is the release of one of the exclusive tracks; Charlotte Adigéry’s stunning new single; “Bear With Me (and I’ll stand bare before you)”.
“Bear With Me…” is about both isolation and connection. A beautiful statement of life in this strangest of eras, its fractured disco production and soul-baring lyrics, conceived and created by the Caribbean-Belgian artist with partner Bolis Pupul in lockdown, speak of the intimacy and vulnerability of confinement. “Bolis and I are storytellers, writing observational tales about the strange world we all inhabit,” says Adigéry, “this song is about being confined thus confronted to the way we live. The cruel irony of having the privilege of standing still, questioning and observing my life in all safety while others are fighting for theirs.”
“Bear With Me” is the first new music from Adigéry since her critically acclaimed 2019 breakout EP Zandoli. Off the back of the release she played over 90 shows that year including a European and North American tour, festivals across Europe and sold out headline shows in London, New York, Paris and Belgium.
Throughout their many years of experience as Soulwax, 2manydjs and lately as DEEWEE masterminds, the brothers have always been connectors. This has never just been about finding people to remix or DJ with, it’s always gone deeper, and been about building something that will last for many more years to come.
Foundations will be released May 7, 2021, on DEEWEE. Pre-order here.
1. Charlotte Adigéry – Bear With Me (and I’ll stand bare before you) *exclusive track
2. Laima – Disco Pregnancy (Tonal + Rhythmical) ε
3. Each Other – Burn It Down
4. Bolis Pupul – Moon Theme ε
5. James Righton – Release Party *exclusive track
6. Die Verboten – Aquarius ε
7. Soulwax – Heaven Scent feat. Chloe Sevigny ε
8. EMS Synthi 100 – Movement 6 ε
9. Soulwax – Conditions of a Shared Belief
10. Soulwax – Close to Paradise
11. Asa Moto – Kifesh ε
12. Laila – The Other Me (DEEWEEDUB) ε
13. Asa Moto – Wanowan Efem ε
14. Charlotte Adigéry – Paténipat ε
15. Klanken – Drie
16. Phillipi – 9000 ε
17. Movulango – Leave *exclusive track
18. Laima – Home ε
19. Emmanuelle – Italove
20. Sworn Virgins – Take Your Lady ε
21. Phillipi & Rodrigo – Paciencia ε
22. Extra Credit – Drive Me ε
23. Bolis Pupul – Wéi? ε
24. Soulwax – Essential Eleven
25. Sworn Virgins – Fifty Dollar Bills ε
26. Phillipi & Rodrigo – Retrogrado
27. Future Sound Of Antwerp – Tom Cruise, Scientologist